Friday, November 27, 2009

Slayer - World Painted Blood

7/10

World Painted Blood isn't quite as strong as Christ Illusion, but it's still pretty good. I have to say that once again, the solos are the strongest part of these songs- I'm glad that Slayer didn't try to pull a St. Anger and release an album without any soloing at all; if they'd done it on Diabolus in Musica or God Hates Us All, those albums could have been even worse than Metallica's disaster. The solos are the heart of Slayer songs; they're some of the only parts of metal songs that ever sound legitimately scary to me (other extreme metal bands can sound angry, but never quite scary). That's not to say that the rest of the songs are horrible, but those leads are just something that I've never heard anywhere else.
I do have to say that I don't like the fact that Slayer's lyrics have gotten more political in recent years. I listen to music to get away from stuff like politics, so it's understandable that I'm not into that stuff. Even with my bias about political lyrics, though, "Americon" is just stupid as hell ("It's all about the motherfucking oil!"), and should've been re-written so it was about gore or Satan or something cool like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment