Monday, September 7, 2009

Loreena McKennitt - Nights from the Alhambra

5/10

This double live album is a bit too similar to Live in Paris and Toronto for me to get a whole lot out of. Aside from a few songs off of Muse, almost all the songs are drawn from the same albums that made up the Paris and Toronto setlist; there are two songs from Elemental and one from Parallel Dreams, but those are the only exceptions. Oh, and there's also the song "Raglan Road," which was an iTunes-only bonus track on Muse (now there's a trend that needs to die)
Also like the previous live album, most of the songs are performed faithfully to the studio versions, although there are a few instrumental differences (most notably the electric guitar on "Stolen Child"). However, the biggest difference is that many songs are again shortened greatly from their original versions.
I hate to go back to comparing Nights from the Alhambra the other live album, but it just doesn't do much that that album did better (the only improvement being production that sounds open without feeling empty). It's not terrible or anything, but it just feels unnecessary. This concert is also available on DVD, but I rarely buy music DVDs, so it may well be better in that form.

1 comment:

  1. Actually I felt that Alhambra was a perfect "best of" made of Loreena's music. I personally find that Stolen Child is COMPLETELY different from the studio version, as well as Huron 'Beltane' Firedance and on Cymbeline she messes up the lyrics :) As for the DVD version, I am a lover of many artists, but never in my life have I seen a DVD that captured my imagination as much as Alhambra, especially with the scenes shown of the Palace and Loreena's commentary on the place. I think it's a must for any music lover - unlike Paris and Toronto, which is indeed somewhat boring...
    cheers
    Orsy

    ReplyDelete