Monday, August 10, 2009

Loreena McKennitt - Intro

A lot of people refer to the type of music typically played on classic rock radio stations as stuff that their dads listened to. I didn't get that experience, as my dad was 42 when I was born and my mom says he slept through the 70s. (Case in point: I played Stairway to Heaven for him once, and when he later heard the song in a different context, he said "Hey, there's that song Pugs likes!") The only real musical legacy my dad passed on to me was the folk-rock band Steeleye Span.
However, my mom was different. She would constantly play Loreena McKennitt and Enya tapes while she was driving me and my sister to and from places, and I developed a taste for them as a result (at least, they beat the hell out of stuff like Yanni and have more personality than corporate creations like Celtic Woman.)
Basically, the only reason I feel comfortable admitting this is that I haven't acquired a reputation to ruin.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Pugs,

    I liked the family stories, but I hope you will give me credit at some point for introducing you to a wider spectrum of music than New Age female singers.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete