Friday, June 26, 2009

Slayer - Undisputed Attitude

4/10

Hardcore punk is far from my favorite genre. In fact, I've never really listened to any before, save for GG Allin (who falls into the "I like him even though his music is as bad as he is as a person" category"). If I want anger and brutality, I've got metal; what little punk I listen to falls on the artsier side of the spectrum. (I should probably check out Black Flag one of these days so I can get the best of both worlds.) As a result, I've never heard any of the original versions of the songs covered here.
I can understand why Slayer decided to do a hardcore punk album; I recognize how influential that genre was on thrash metal. That doesn't mean I have to like it, though. I guess that Undisputed Attitude is good for what it is; I did like how they made sure to give it a rough sound more befitting of punk than fully metal the songs up. It's not entirely a covers album; there are two original songs written by Jeff Hanneman for the aborted side-project Pap Smear and "Gemini," the band's sole concession to metal on the album, which is just dreary and boring with little real thrashing.
This album wasn't made for me. Fortunately, I don't try to rate albums on how well they did what they tried to do; I just rate them on how much I enjoy them. Therefore, while I'm sure that punk fans will enjoy this, I have no problem giving it a low rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment