Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Slayer - Hell Awaits

10/10

I like long songs a lot. Sure, songs can get on my nerves if they go on too long (I thought Yes' Tales from Topographic Oceans was lame as hell), but it's rare as hell for me to listen to a song and think that it needs to be cut down. Basically, what I'm saying is that if you stitch two or three songs together, I'll like it better than if they were all put together separately.
Three of the tracks on Hell Awaits are over six minutes long, which is really, really long by Slayer standards; however, they're still full songs that flow pretty well, and not just lengthy Frankenstein monsters. Okay, the title track is half intro and has some unnecessary pitch-shifted vocals, but I love it just the same. I also like the bass here; Araya's parts are especially complex but it's always meaty and high in the mix. This album doesn't do much wrong, and I have no problem giving it a 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment