Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure

10/10

I had to give this the 10 because it's got some of my favorite Roxy songs on it and no real clunkers at all. It's also probably their darkest album, which is something I tend to gravitate to, what with my desert island list containing albums by Van der Graaf Generator, the Sisters of Mercy and Bruce Springsteen's Darkness on the Edge of Town. My favorite song on it is "In Every Dream Home A Heartache," which has to be the greatest song about a blow-up doll ever written, blowing all of Zappa's songs on the subject out of the park. Sure, it's mostly buildup, but it's a great buildup, with ominous synthesizers, and when it finally explodes, it's amazing. I also like how it fades out and then fades back in at the end (this led to its length being listed incorrectly on the original LP)
Other great songs include "Editions of You" (although I like pretty much any song with synths that remind me of an NES game, so I'm biased), "Do the Strand" (which is lighter than most of the other songs, but still great) and the lengthy jam "The Bogus Man" (which sounds almost like Captain Beefheart at times with its off-kilter sax and guitar solos). For Your Pleasure may not be as revolutionary as its predecessor, but it's even more consistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment