Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Queen - A Night at the Opera

8/10

This album is Queen's most famous; not suprisingly, this is largely because it contains "Bohemian Rhapsody." However, there's lots of other awesome stuff on it; my favorite track is the eight-minute "The Prophet's Song," with its heavy guitars, apocalyptic tone and awesome a cappella sequence in the middle. Other great tracks include "I'm in Love with My Car," my favorite song that Roger Taylor ever wrote, and "Death on Two Legs," which was written about the band's ex-manager and which prompted a lawsuit (although how hurt could he have been by the song? No one knew it was about him until he sued) and the sci-fi folk song "'39". Freddie also contributes two amusing music-hall numbers, "Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon" and "Seaside Rendezvous."

It's not all perfect, though. I find the Deacon-penned "You're My Best Friend" to be cloying, and have no idea why it was the album's second single. "Good Company" is just dull, especially seeing as it comes just before "Bohemian Rhapsody," and the 3/4 number "Sweet Lady" would be decent if not for some terrible lyrics ("You call me sweet like I'm some kind of cheese"). As for Bohemian Rhapsody, there isn't a whole lot that I can say about it that hasn't already been said, but I will note that I just don't think it feels complete without "God Save the Queen" at the end. An excellent album, if not a flawless one.

No comments:

Post a Comment